Even if you are a student, you will be subject to paying Income Tax and National Insurance as part of UK employment law.

You will pay Income Tax if you earn more than £1,042.42 a month on average.

You will pay National Insurance if you earn more than £166 a week.

If you think you have paid too much tax because you are continuing to pay but you stopped working part way through the tax year, you may be able to claim a tax refund.

To see if you’re eligible for a refund, you can use HMRC’s tax checker, or alternatively you can contact HMRC directly.

Did this answer your question?