What’s on my payslip?

Your payslip contains details like total weekly payments, your holiday pay, and pension contributions.

Josh from Operations avatar
Written by Josh from Operations
Updated over a week ago

Coople’s payslips contain all the details about your payments and deductions. It can be a bit difficult to understand what’s on your payslip, so here’s a good summary that can help:

Some important things first

  • Coople is your legal employer. You can work across a range of jobs for different companies but all payments come from us as you’re employed by Coople. We make National Insurance Contributions in your name and include benefits in every job you do. These benefits include Holiday Pay and Statutory payments (Sick pay, Maternity and Paternity pay).

  • We pay weekly, on Fridays, for the shifts you’ve worked two weeks before. This means that when you work a shift any day from Monday to Sunday, you’ll receive payment for that shift two Fridays later. Learn more about when you get paid in this article.

  • We send your payslips on Wednesdays, to the email address used to sign up for your Coople account. You can also find all your payslips in Profile > Settings > Payslips.

Let’s look at the most important information on your payslip, what you’ve earned:

Net Pay: This is the money you’re taking home. It’s the result of adding your Total Payments or Gross Wage and subtracting your Total Deductions.

Total Payments: This is your Gross Wage or the money you've earned for all your shifts in a week. It includes your Holiday Pay + Standard Hours + Statutory Payments + Bonuses, Commissions and Expenses. These last three payments are voluntary, and only some companies might choose to include them in your pay at their discretion.

Total Deductions: This is the money you’ve paid to maintain public services like healthcare, unemployment benefits and your own retirement pot. It includes your National Insurance Contributions + Pensions + Tax. Any figure you see in brackets is a refund that has not been deduced from your Total Payments.

Summary: This is the total Tax Deducted you’ve had from your Total Payments with Coople this YTD (Year to Date). This period of time starts on the first day of the fiscal year which in the UK is April 1st.

Let's look at your Timesheet Analysis to understand the money you've made in every shift:

The timesheet analysis contains information about:

  • The week when you did all the shifts (called PE Date or Period Ending Date. It's always a Sunday).

  • The Client.

  • The Location.

  • The Pay Rate - this is your base wage, excluding holiday pay.

  • The number of hours worked (called Units).

  • and the Amount made in each shift.

When you add all the amounts, the result is the Standard hours.

Why is the Amount different in the app and on the payslip?

When you apply for a job in the Coople Job App, you'll see that the Pay we show is your Rate including holiday pay.

However, we separate these two concepts on your payslip so you can understand better what Coople is paying you (the Holiday Pay) and what the company you worked with is paying you (the Standard Hours). If you need to learn more about your Holiday Pay, please out check this article.

What are the Tax Codes?

HMRC, the tax authority in the UK, tells Coople which tax code to use to collect the right Income Tax from your pay.

Your tax code includes a number and a letter. For example 1250L. The number tells us how much tax-free income you’ll get in that tax year (from April to April).

In the example above, 1250L, you can have your first £12,500 tax-free. This is called your Personal Allowance and it’s spread evenly across your pay packets throughout the tax year. Once you earn more than £12,500, Coople will deduct tax from your income before you receive payment.

It’s essential that you enter your HMRC declaration information in the Coople Job App. This will help us inform HMRC of your working circumstances and ensure that you’re taxed correctly.

Go to Account > HMRC Declaration and select the option that applies to you.

If you think you’re in the wrong tax code, please contact HMRC directly.

You can find more information about tax codes on this government website.

Related articles

Did this answer your question?