All Collections
Help for Cooplers - Switzerland
Frequently asked questions
Paternity allowance (paternity leave) / compensation for the child mother's wife (same-sex marriage)
Paternity allowance (paternity leave) / compensation for the child mother's wife (same-sex marriage)

What does paternity allowance entail, and how can I apply to check my entitlement with the compensation office?

Written by Julie Freeman
Updated over a week ago

What is paternity allowance or compensation for the wife of the child's mother? And what does it entail?

As a working father or wife of the child's mother, you are entitled to 10 days paid leave. You can take this leave within 6 months after the birth of your child, either all at once or spread over individual days.

For same-sex marriages, the following applies:

  • The wife of the child's mother and the child's mother must be married at the time of the birth

  • According to federal law, the child must have been conceived by means of medically assisted reproduction through a sperm donation.

  • In the case of a child adoption by both parents, other regulations apply. You can find more information in this article.

When are you entitled to the compensation? Not conclusive

  • At the time of birth, you have a valid employment contract or are receiving unemployment benefit or interim income

  • You had work assignments in Switzerland 9 months before the birth. If you have not worked in Switzerland but in the EU or an EFTA country, this can be taken into account.

  • During these 9 months, you have paid AHV/OASI contributions for at least 5 months

    • If you have had several employers, please make sure to list them all to ensure your entitlement.

  • In the event of stillbirth or if the child dies during or after birth, there is no compensation from the time of the child's death.

Application for paternity allowance or compensation for the wife of the child's mother

Do not submit the application for compensation until:

  • You have taken the entire paternity leave (max. 10 working days)

  • If you have deliberately taken less than 10 working days, you have up to 6 months to take the remaining days of leave. The application for compensation must be made no later than 6 months after the birth, regardless of whether you have received all 10 days or not.

  • Please fill in the application form

  • Point 5 "Employer's details" is filled in by Coople, i.e., you do not have to fill this in

You can find the form under the following link:




If you have several employers

  • You can submit the application forms to the employer where you have worked the most in the last 9 months

  • You have to indicate this in the application form under point 4.1 "You were employed by a business establishment at the time of the child’s birth"

  • and the supplementary sheet for each additional employer (see link below) and send it along.




If you are self-employed and employed at the same time

  • The compensation office with which you pay the contributions for self-employment is responsible in this case.

You have to send the following additional documents (one copy) (for more information see the application form):

  • Identity document (ID card, passport)

  • Birth certificate of the child or family record book (parents and children)

    • Only official documents issued by a civil registry office are accepted. Confirmations from the hospital or the doctor are not sufficient!

If you, as the father of the child or the wife of the child's mother, have a foreign passport:

  • Residence permit or residence permit for foreign nationals

  • If married, the residence permit of the spouse as well

If you worked outside Switzerland in an EU or EFTA country at the time of the birth or in the 9 months before the birth:

  • you must enclose the original certificate (form E104) on the foreign insurance and employment periods in the EU or EFTA country

You will receive the original certificate when you submit form E104 to the foreign insurance institution. You can find form E104 at

  • Attach all requested documents

  • Save a copy for yourself

  • Send the application and all required documents to

  • We will complete the document and send it to our compensation office for review

If the decision is positive, you will receive the paternity allowance or the allowance for the child's mother's wife directly from our compensation office.

Application deadline

The application for compensation is possible until 5 years after the end of this 6-month period at the latest. If you register later than after 5 years, you will no longer receive paternity allowance or compensation for the wife of the child's mother.

How much is the paternity compensation or the compensation for the wife of the child's mother?

The compensation amounts to 80% of the average earned income before the birth of the child. However, the maximum amount is CHF 220 per day.

You can find more information at:




Did this answer your question?