Skip to main content
I had an accident. What do I have to do?

If you had an accident and cannot come to work, please contact us as soon as possible.

Jenny Petrini avatar
Written by Jenny Petrini
Updated over a week ago

If you had an accident at work or outside work and are unable to come to work, please let us know as soon as possible. This will help us to find a replacement for you as fast as possible.


  1. Cancel your shift or job in the Coople Jobs App, and enter "accident" as the reason. Find out how to cancel a job here. In the case of an accident at work, you can also ask the hiring company to inform us.

  2. As soon as you have cancelled your job in the app, we will search for a replacement. The company you are working for will also be informed about your absence.

In the event of an occupational or non-occupational accident, you may be entitled to continued payment of wages. Find out when you are entitled and how you can make a claim here. In order to make a claim, we will always need a doctor's certificate.

When do I have to provide a doctor's certificate?

  • If you cancel less than 3 days before the job starts, you may receive strikes or risk the suspension of your account. To launch an appeal, you will need to provide a doctor's certificate.

  • Important: All doctor's certificates must be issued at an in-person doctor's appointment. Certificates issued after telephone consultations will not be accepted by the insurance company. The certificate must certify the accident from the first day of absence.

  • Please note that we will file criminal charges for the forging of doctor's certificates.

We wish you a quick recovery and hope to work with you again soon!

Did this answer your question?